Monday, February 4, 2013

Sutton {2 Years & 7ish Months}

It seems like Sutton is doing all kinds of new and fun things, so I've been writing them down, intending to do a post about them for quite awhile. I just didn't ever have the photos to accompany it. So today I finally grabbed my camera while we were outside in the driveway playing cars on this gorgeous February day.


*He likes to emphasize certain words. Common examples include:
       "I do ALL by myself."
       "I eat breakfast AND cutie."
       "I sleep WIF-OUT my puppy." (Credit to Ginger for that one.)

*He often tells us "I'm just a little guy. When I get BIG, I do it."



*If we tell him we can't do something, like fixing a toy or something, he says "Let's try. Let's just try."

*He's not very independent when it comes to playing, and I hear this about 3,472 times per day: "Mommy, play me? Play cars me?" The 'with' is implied. :)

*A lot of times he says "My" when the correct pronoun would be "I." Such as "My read this book now."


*Hands down favorite song right now is "I like to move it move it" from Madagascar.

*Speaking of Madagascar...that's the current favorite movie. He's watched the first one about 35 times because we own it, and we rented the 2nd and 3rd ones for him, and he had to play them on repeat.

*Sometimes if he says something I don't understand, I'll ask him to repeat it, but instead of repeating it, he'll say "What am I saying?" The way he says it makes it sound like he doesn't even know what he's saying, ha.


*A couple of things he's started saying make him seem very grown up. He'll often ask me to play with him and I'll tell him I need to get coffee first, or use the restroom first. He'll say "Go ahead. Go ahead Mommy."

*Another grown up phrase he's started using is "Nevermind." He'll say something that I don't hear or can't understand, and then he'll smile and say "Nevermind!"



*Little stinker is a smartiepants. He can sing all his ABCs quite clearly. But he usually does it best when he's not paying attention to what he's saying or when he wasn't asked to say them on command.

*He knows A, B, H, M, O, S, W, X, and Y by sight. He'll often point them out when he sees them on signs. One day he saw an airplane leave smoke in the shape of a Y in the sky and yelled "Look Mommy! Y!" His first letter to recognize was S...since his name starts with that, we have several things with his initial in his bedroom.

*He wrote his very first on-purpose letter last night...an M! He wrote it upside down, but it was definitely an M! (Or W, I suppose...). He's done it a couple times since then.


*He finally started singing songs on his own without me having to sing with him. Lately, when we're driving, he'll sing a weird combination of ABCs and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (which he just calls Twinkle Star). It goes on and on. And on and on and on.





*As mentioned in past posts, he's been getting up way earlier than usual. He's been good about staying in bed or staying in his room until it's light out or until we come get him. When I go in there to get him in the mornings, he's usually sitting on the floor with his pacifier and blankies, playing cars. He looks at me when I walk in and says "I just waiting you Mommy." Sometimes he leaves out unnecessary words. :)


*Lately whenever I pick him up from KidsZone at the Y, or at school where he's been coloring, he runs over to me and gives me his picture and YELLS "It's for YOU!!! I made for YOU!" It's really cute, but he continues to yell it until I acknowledge this statement.


*He's very into planning ahead lately. Each morning as he's eating breakfast, he asks me "What we do next after breakfast?" And then if we're out on errands, he keeps asking "What's next?" until I've told him the plan of every place we're going to stop before we go home. He always remembers things exactly and tells me where to go once we get back in the car.


*He's too smart, and has started using the 'sharing' concept to his advantage. Whenever we get something to eat that looks appetizing, he always comes over and says sweetly "Let's share it!" and just assumes that we will.

                         

*He likes to copy words he hears, especially big words because he knows they get a reaction out of us. This morning I had an eye appointment, and the assistant asked me about macular degeneration. Sutton yells out from the corner where he's playing "Mac-lar?"


*He's going to preschool next year (what?!) and he can't wait. We toured his new school last month and he still talks about it all the time. The ladies there were very impressed with how articulate he is, which was very exciting to hear since I really have nothing to compare him to. He knows all of his shapes, colors, and several letters, and he loves to point them out unprompted...which is what makes me think he'll be ready this fall.


*Last but not least, he's at a very interesting age where he wants everything to be explained. He'll often throw tantrums because he doesn't want to do something we ask him to, but then if we explain why we asked him to do it, he is good to go. It's very weird but nice to be able to reason with him and for him to be able to understand concepts and abstract things as opposed to only what he can see and touch.

I'm sure I'll remember more things the second I hit Publish, but at least that covers most of it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment