Do you see how handsome this kid is? Holy cow. I can't get over it. Even with that tiny amount of hair and forehead that's on the large side. This kid couldn't be cuter.
We decided to do a quick shoot in our front yard before lunch today and it went about as you would expect a photo shoot with an 18-month-old boy and his 5-year-old brother to go.
Please also note that the above photo is completely out of focus. I'm telling you, photographing my own kids is not my forte...except then Ren flashes me this amazingness:
Goodness. My heart. And then there's the toothy grin.
Brothers are the best. Seriously. Before I had kids, I always thought that two kids - one boy and one girl - was the perfect family. Boy, was I wrong. Brothers are the way to go.
This is his "I'm done with this let me get down and get that thing out of my face" face.
But that wasn't good enough because he needed me to include his whole body in the picture. Fine.
And then the inevitable "Mommy! Look how cute we are!"
The
I wanted a change of scenery, so over to the wet grass we went. But he wouldn't stand still so I made him sit and his life was over.
Ren is very good at mood changes though, as you can tell:
I tried my best to get a smiling closeup, but these were as good as it got. I love each of these expressions, as I see them all of the time.
I probably shouldn't compare so much, but how can I resist. Sutton on the left at 18 months, and Ren on the right. I think they look SO different, but then if I look just at their noses, they look the same. Or just their eyes look the same.
At 18 months, Ren:
*Sleeps 8pm to 6:30am approximately. He's pretty excited about going to bed. He naps twice a day still. Around 9 or 9:30am til 10:30 or 11. Then around 2-4pm. One day this week, he decided to skip his afternoon nap (on a day I had SO much to do, of course), and then by 6:30pm he was an out of control sobbing mess. That was a long evening.
*He wears size 3 diapers still and 12-18 month clothes. He still seems pretty skinny but he might be getting a little belly.
*He has just recently started refusing some foods. Like scrambled eggs. Weird. Up until this point, he has been such a good eater and he still is for the most part, but he's starting to get a tiny opinion about things.
*He has started mimicking sounds a lot more than he used to. If I ever exclaim "Whoa!" or "Wow!"...I can be sure that I will have a little parrot repeating me. He usually just makes the vowel sounds, so Whoa = O and Wow = Ow. We went to the park this week and I kept asking him to say Park. He would just say the K sound.
*His list of actual words is still short: dada (for everyone in our house), Diesel, uh oh, cracker, tractor, truck, (cracker, tractor, and truck all sound the same so you gotta use context clues), meow (ee-ow ee-ow ee-ow). I definitely feel like he is trying to say a lot more, it's just still completely unintelligible. It sounded like he said "dada work" one day this week when Sutton asked me where Daddy was. But it was probably a fluke.
*He is becoming more aware of things. He watches and tries to figure things out. We talk to him through his video monitor like a walkie talkie. Today I talked to him on it on my way to his bedroom to get him when he woke up from his nap. When I went in his room, he kept pointing to the end of the monitor that's in his room and saying something. I think he was trying to tell me that he just heard me there.
*If he wants to be held, he toddles up to you and hugs your legs and buries his face between your knees.
*He has started kissing and it is freaking adorable. If you ask for a kiss, he will usually give you one (open-mouthed, of course). But with me, and only me, he will randomly come up to me and kiss me out of the blue. I melt. He gets right up in your face and maintains eye contact until he's too close that you can't anymore. We get lots of kisses that have a pacifier in them too. :) Recently if we ask him "Can you say 'I love you'?" he will kiss or hug us. We didn't even teach him that! I think he just already knows what love is.
Today, he emptied Adam's wallet and we got onto him for it. 2 minutes later, he was emptying mine! Like, he went and opened the cabinet where my purse is, got my wallet out, and started taking stuff out. I got mad at him and made him leave and was very stern. He came back over and kissed me and I obviously couldn't help but laugh. Little stinker.
*He is still so entertained by the outdoors. He doesn't need toys or entertainment. He will just wander around and find sticks and rocks and puddles and be so happy.
*The boy LOVES books. He is always bringing us books to read to him. His attention span has gotten better but it still doesn't last throughout a whole book (unless it's a short baby one). We've started taking books along in the car because that is one thing that will keep him happy for a longer time.
*He has started obeying simple commands like "Put that back" and "Throw that away" and "Can I have that?"
*He loves to give us our shoes when it's time to go somewhere. Even if we already have shoes on, he will bring us whatever pair he sees on the ground and insist we take them.
*He walks around with his hands sticking straight out behind him. Like he's trying to go fast or something.
*Stats from our doctor's appointment on August 24:
-Weighs 23.88 pounds {45.35 percentile}
-32.25 inches tall {42.8 percentile}
We love you, sweet Ren Adler! Happy 18 months!
















No comments:
Post a Comment