Sutton was so excited about his pictures, mostly because we borrowed a special "picture chair" from Grandma and Papa that he'd been dragging around the house the past two days. Sweet little boy napped longer than usual that day and I had to wake him up to get ready so we wouldn't run out of sunlight. Good thing he's a boy and I can get him ready in about 2 minutes flat.
Without further ado, Sutton, at 2.5 years old:
*You are the goofiest kid ever. You're always trying to make us laugh and you usually succeed. You randomly make silly faces, you have different phrases you love to whip out and use like an adult (in context!), and you are always laughing.
*Some of the phrases you say in context include:
"Oh, goodness!"
"Sounds good Mommy!"
"Cooperate," or "Focus," when I'm trying to change your diaper and you're being too crazy.
*You have these two funny voices that you do. Daddy taught you the first one, in which you just lower your voice and try to sound scary. Usually when you do that voice, you just say "Hi Sutton," like you're a 50-year-old man. The second voice...we don't know where it came from, but you talk like you have a mouth full of cotton balls. Typically you use this voice when saying certain words or phrases like "monster" and "catch me." I should try to get those on video.
*You like to pretend to put stuffed animals, airplanes, or other random objects to sleep. You turn them upside down (i.e., on their belly) since that's how you sleep, and you touch your finger to your nose and tell me to be quiet. Except you mix up your syllables and it's always "be ky-wet."
*You are LOVING going to school. You think your teacher Mrs. Pasteka is a celebrity. It's crazy how much more you tell me about school when I pick you up as opposed to back in September when it first started. You've told me about your friend Gabe that you like to play cars with. You tell me if you played outside. You told me what the photographer did to get you to smile for your school pictures (wore a duck on his head and told you to say "cookies!")
*You love to talk about other "keedz." When I ask you about school, you always tell me you played with keedz. Or at church, that there were other keedz there. When we go to visit Daddy at work, you always ask me if the keedz are going to be there. Even though those keedz are older than you. So it's funny that you call them keedz.
*You love music. You always try to pick up lyrics from songs on the radio and say them back to us. One of your favorites right now is "Some Nights" by Fun., but you call it "Miss my mom and dad for this?" because that's your favorite line from the song. You love Christmas music and can pick it out from regular music. You always ask if the Christmas songs are about Nicholas or Jesus.
*You just recently started saying "I can't do it," when you try to do something and it doesn't work. It's really cute, but a little heartbreaking.
*We have entered the stage of the Whys. You ask me "Why? Why Mommy?" about 20 million times a day. At first it was cute because you say it in this meek little voice like you really want to know, but when you ask me continually, we always end up at "Because I said so." So cliche.
*You love being outside and running around. Playing outside trumps nearly everything. We don't do it a ton (bad mommy), but the last couple days that have been nice, I've been opening the back door and just letting you go in and out as you please. You love it, but always ask me to "come play me!"
*Your logic amazes me. You are usually very good at problem solving, and I've found that if I actually take the time to explain things to you, you usually understand. Like if we are in a hurry to go somewhere and I'm trying to get you dressed, if I explain that we'll be late if we don't hurry and when we're late it makes Mommy sad, then you will obey. Last week, your little RC car wasn't working because it had a dead battery. Instead of getting upset or asking me to fix it, you went and got your legos and told me you were going to build it a new motor. You are so smart!
*You love to help. You'll drop anything you're doing if I ask you to help me with something. Often times, you like to grunt while you're carrying something or moving something even if it's not heavy. I think it's because you want us to notice what you're doing and tell you good job.
*Potty training isn't really happening. I know you're smart enough to do it, and you tell me every time you need to go #2, but you just don't want to go on the potty. I don't know if I should force the issue (and potentially cause you to have an aversion to the potty), or wait a bit to see if you are ready on your own. You've gone a few times on the potty and we get so excited and give you candy, but apparently that's not incentive enough.
*You usually sleep 8pm to 7:30am(ish), and you take a good 2-3 hour nap at 1pm each day. You still very much need your naps, and I'm so glad because I can get lots of work done during that time. Or if I'm in a slow season, sometimes I'll nap too. I try to take advantage of that while you don't have any siblings because I know I'll miss that ability when/if we have another kid.
*This might seem like a silly milestone, but the last week in November, I started letting you walk on your own from the bath to your bedroom to get dressed. Your entire life up until then, I've always wrapped you in a towel and cradled you like a baby to your room. But you're so big now, it was time.
*You also slept for the first night without your pacifier last week. We spontaneously decided to spend the night at my parents' house, and we didn't have any of your stuff. So you slept without a pacifier AND without your blankies. And you wore my t-shirt, which was pretty huge and cute on you. You slept through the whole night without waking up. But the next night at home, you definitely still wanted to sleep with all your stuff. But at least it makes me think that when we do decide its time to give up the pacifier, it won't be too huge of a struggle.
*You are so good. Like, compared to a lot of other kids (and I know I'm biased), you're just good. You usually obey what we ask you to do (especially if we explain why we need you to do it) without throwing a fit. Obviously, like any child, you have plenty of moments where this is not the case. But for the most part, I couldn't ask for a better behaved child. I even had another mom stop me in Target to tell me how good you were being when I told you you couldn't have a toy and needed to put it back. Talk about being proud. :)
*You like to cuddle...sometimes. Sometimes you don't want me to touch you, but usually you're up for cuddling or holding hands. I'm SO dreading the day when you won't hold hands with me anymore. The other night while we were driving around looking at Christmas lights, we were all crammed into the front seat of Daddy's truck. I asked you if you wanted to hold hands and you said yes, so we drove around for a good 15 minutes just holding hands. It was so sweet. You often subconsciously touch my arm or hold my hand when we're watching a movie together.
*You want to be exactly like your daddy. It's sort of ridiculous, but really cute. You copy his movements or the way he sits. We shaved his hair into a mohawk for crazy hair day at school today, and when you saw it, you wanted your hair like that too (I didn't oblige).
*You're starting to have an opinion about your clothes. Sometimes you don't want to change out of your jammies, so I have to find a shirt with a truck or a tractor on it as incentive for you to put real clothes on. You have some new rocket jammies that you love, and you sing "Rocket Man" (or ask me to) when we put them on at night.
*You have this new thing: when you see something funny or that's out of place, you'll bend over laughing and say "Ha ha. Oh, gosh!"
*You're a lot more in tune to how people feel lately. If I'm mad or sad, you pick up on it and try to make me feel better. Except for those times you laugh at me when I'm pretending you hurt my feelings. :)
*You like to talk about "bad drivers" (now where could you have picked that up?), and when we're stopped at a stop light, sometimes you ask me if my car is stuck.
(You got a sticker in your pants in the photo above and it made you so sad. But once Daddy removed it, you were good to go, and I got more smiles out of you! You crazy awesome kid!)
*You're very into pretending that pirates, germs, or storms are coming to get you and you have to run to the couch to get away from them.
*You also like to pretend to eat things or drink things. Usually it's cake, pickles (which you don't even like), coffee, or juice. You like to 'throw' them to me so I can catch them and eat them too.
*You're aware of the fact that both Mommy and Daddy have to "go to wook (work)." Every morning when you wake up, the first thing you ask me "Daddy go to wook?" Yes, Sutton. "Why?" This morning I told you it was because he had to make us some money. You got stuck on that and had to talk about Daddy making money for awhile. Sometimes you tell us you have to go to work, and that you work in your fort downstairs. :)
*Aside from saying "Why?" a million times a day, the second most common thing you say is "Wook! Wook me Mommy!" (Look! Look at me Mommy!) And usually when I look, you're not doing anything exciting. Or if you are, all it is is making a silly face. Like above. :)
*You wear size 5 diapers and wet the bed a lot. Maybe that's the sign that we need to potty train you.
*You're probably 32-35 pounds and you're around 3 feet tall. Sometimes I can't believe how big you are, and sometimes you just seem so tiny. With your little indented knuckles. :)
*You love to give hugs and kisses and tell us that you love us and that you'll "see you next time!" whenever we leave.
Sutton, you and your daddy are the best things I've ever done in my life and I can't imagine not being your mommy! I'm so blessed to have you and this is the best stage. I cherish these moments with our little family of three and I love our life with you in it. You're the best!



























No comments:
Post a Comment