Thursday, March 12, 2015

Sutton

Sutton and I have been majorly butting heads lately.

I am not a huge fan of being super strict and he is pushing the limits to see what he can get away with.

Adam tells me over and over again that any slight disobedience or defiance needs an immediate consequence, and I see the positive results of that kind of discipline in how well Sutton behaves for Adam. I'm just a softy and it does not come easily for me. And Sutton knows it. The fits, the crying, the pouting, the yelling...ugh. It's tiring.

But holy moly, do I love that kid. His freckles, his big brown eyes. The way he holds his mouth when he concentrates. The amazing way he has with Ren, he is kind and gentle and the best big brother anyone could ever have.

The way he hugs me every day as if it's been ages since he's seen me.

The way he tells me he's sorry without any prompting when he's had time to think about how he's acted. The silly way he says certain words: slushy is slooshie...Powerade is Powergade, breakfast is breakiss, Starburst is dobber. L's and R's are still hard for him, so Ren is Wen (or Wenny), and how he's perfectly aware that those letters are hard for him to say and tries to explain what he means if I don't understand right away.

His imagination. How he understands things that I feel are way over his head...like the concept of God and growing up. His matter-of-fact way he talks about when he's older and moves out to marry a girl. His strange taste in movies (anything from Wild Kratts to Veggie Tales to Frozen to CareBears). How deeply he loves his family and friends.

This kid is amazing. I can so easily get bogged down in how hard it is to be a parent all day every day. But when it comes down to it...I lucked out. He's amazing. Now tell me that tomorrow when we're arguing about eating his vegetables. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment