Sutton got to ride up front so that I could be in the back with Ren. It actually worked out well. Here's Sutton making himself comfortable at one of our stops.
We stopped at a store in north west Kansas called Kansas Originals. It had a bunch of stuff made right here in Kansas...food, art, blankets, wooden things like this tiny bed.
Oh looky there. A sleeping baby (just you wait...).
Sutton wanted to hold hands.
We stopped in Goodland the first night to stay in a hotel and break the drive up a bit. Sutton was so excited because he LOVES hotels. This was Ren's first time staying in one and he seemed pretty happy about it too.
Sutton got comfy in the king-sized bed and watched some 'toons.
We made it to Colorado the next day!

When we got to our campsite, we set up camp and went for a hike to stretch our legs that had been in the car for two days. So beautiful there.
Ren slept through a lot of it. And held the GoPro camera for us.
The first night there was COLD. We hadn't planned on that. We made provisions for the rest of the nights, but that first night Ren woke up whimpering, and when I got him from the pack n play he was ice cold, so he spent the rest of the night cuddled in our bed to stay warm.

From our morning at Pikes Peak. Doesn't it look like Adam is on Mars? Although I suppose the sky would look different.
On top of Pikes Peak with my boys!
And with my loverboy.

There is a little town near Pikes Peak called Green Mountain Falls. This is my mom's most favorite place in the whole world. I think it was the summer after my 8th grade year, my family rented a cabin up here and stayed for a week or so. Lots of good memories. When I saw the sign for Green Mountain Falls on this trip, I knew we had to stop!
It's so pretty there.
We met a lady walking a little pig named Wilbur.
These swings are musical swings. When you swing, it's like you're playing an instrument. Or so we hear. They weren't working that day. :(
We went for another hike that evening.
There were some ridiculously steep uphills on this hike. And you have to understand that I haven't done much working out since Ren was born. So I was having a hard time with him in the carrier. My superhero hubby kept saying he would take him, but I kept saying no. Finally he forced the baby from me...and that made it a lot easier.
The next day we went to Manitou Springs. There's a really neat penny arcade there. Sutton went on a few rides.
And played a few games.
Ren just chilled in the carrier.
We didn't have much time to spend there (which was probably good on our wallets...the penny arcade was more like a quarter arcade or dollar arcade), because we met up with some friends for lunch at Savelli's.
Huh...can you believe this baby fell asleep again? :)
Ryan and Kelsi moved to CO from Wichita 2 years ago. We met Ryan through our church, and Kelsi worked at the bridal shop right next to our photo studio downtown. Then they met and got married and I took their photos. We hadn't met their daughter Kennedy yet, so that was fun!
Since I was such a lightweight on the hike the day before, Adam decided to go on a longer hike with just Sutton in the backpack. So Ren and I were on our own. He needed a nap, so I used the opportunity to drive up to Rocky Mountain Mennonite Camp which was nearby Mueller State Park (which was where we camped). My family went to this camp when I was a kid. A lot was the same, and a lot was different. This chapel in the photo below was the same as I remembered. The pond in the bottom right was where I went Polar Bearing when I was like 10. Ugh. Never again.
After RMMC, Ren and I drove into Woodland Park to find somewhere to eat dinner. I found a sandwich shop called Big Dawg's Sandwiches. I went in, and had to get a photo of their Board of Directors...all the owner's dogs. :)
We all met up back at our campsite for a campfire.
I LOVE this photo of me with my boys. They're both so happy. It was pretty chilly that evening and we hadn't brought much cold-weather clothing. So we cuddled to stay warm.
This was one view from our campsite. That's actually the bath house. It was nice to have bathrooms that close. And showers.
And this was the view just to the right of the bath house. Beautiful.
Ohthesleepingbaby!!!!!
Sutton watched movies in the tent after it got dark.
They shared a Poptart in the morning. ;)

That next day, we drove from Colorado Springs up to Denver to visit Michael and Sara. Michael was still at work when we arrived. We went in their backyard and got the kiddie pool out for Carson and Sutton. Carson wasn't too thrilled that I wanted to take a selfie with him.
They had just built a fire pit in their backyard, so we had a fire that evening.
Michael and Carson!
The next morning, these two were early risers, so we hung out under the playmate together for a bit.
Michael had to go to work, but the rest of us drove to Silver Plume to ride the Georgetown Railroad. Sutton has been wanting to go on a train ride so this was very exciting.

The views from the train were great! We passed right over this river/waterfall.

On this train ride, we started at Silver Plume and rode to Georgetown. Then we got off for a few minutes while they switched the engine to the other end of the train to drive us back. There was a bridge over the river at our stop that was very pretty.
Ren and I saw this chipmunk while everyone else was using the bathroom.
On the ride back to Silver Plume, we sat right behind the engine so it was much louder. Apparently the loudness lulled Ren to sleep...
...but it was definitely NOT Carson's favorite thing. He gave his momma a workout wriggling and crying about the noise. Poor guy.
We ate lunch at Cafe Rio...we don't have those here and it was so good. Then Michael was able to get off work a bit early and we all went swimming.
Carson loved the water!!
Ren slept the whole time, so I sat with him in the shade for a lot of the time we were there. This was my view...their neighborhood pool was really nice!
Sutton and Uncle Michael goofing around. Good thing Michael is like a big kid...Sutton was relentless about playing with him.
We left Friday morning early early to avoid rush hour traffic in Denver. We stopped in Hays, Kansas which is where Adam's Dreher side is from. We visited his grandparent's grave.
And Ren did a lot of sleeping.

And the best surprise ever. When we got home, Adam's parents were at our house because (I assumed) they'd missed the boys. But I walk inside and Ed had PAINTED MY KITCHEN CABINETS. I've only wanted this done since we moved in 5 years ago. Adam and secretly planned this all, and he'd been getting updates while we were in CO but I had no idea. Omg. I love my new kitchen.

































































No comments:
Post a Comment