Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Summer 2014

I've felt very guilty about not posting each month about all the stuff we do...because honestly we're busy and we have a lot of fun and I want to remember it all. But I just don't have time anymore. Two kids really does make a difference. But I thought I would at least post some highlights from our summer now that it's officially over and everyone is back to school. (Except me and Ren. We're slackers. :))


My sweet friend Melinda had a baby shower in June. We have all been praying and waiting for this baby for so long, and it was such a fun little afternoon tea party. Ren was the only boy in attendance. :)


We went out to the field Daddy flies RC airplanes at one nice evening, and there was this awesome field of wildflowers. Too bad I didn't have my nice camera!


One of many trips to the zoo. This lion saw us all gathered at the window and came over to lay down and pose for us. You can tell he's used to people.


And one of many trips to Cheney Lake to swim and boat. Cousin Corbin came along this trip and played with Sutton.


I can't get enough of my babies when they're sleeping. It's like my kryptonite. (As you will see later in this post.) And when they're sleeping WITH my gorgeous husband, well...I just about die.



Sleeping in the wrap. We haven't been using it as much as we did when he was a newborn, but I want to start using it a lot more again.


One hot night, I had a shoot at Botanica when the admission was only $2. So my family and Scott came along and they hung out in the children's area while I took photos of a cute little family. We had Scott take a couple photos of us too.



My boys in their hats. AHHH. I have this as the wallpaper on my phone.


For 4th of July, we went over to Adam's parents and sister's house for a potluck cookout and to light off fireworks. I think these were all the kiddos there except Ren and one other.


Sutton doesn't like loud noises, so he got Papa's headphones. They all had so much fun. Adam kept lighting off Black Cats inside a tin can inside a dish of water, which shoots the tin can up in the air and we all took turns trying to catch it.


This child loves having his feet in the air. This is his favorite position to hang out in.


After we got back from our vacation to Colorado, I had one day at home which I used to teach a photography workshop out in my studio, and to take Melinda's baby's newborn photos. The next day, I loaded up the boys and we headed to Kansas City to visit the Clarks and to attend Rowan's 2nd birthday party. The party was hot and fun. This was the best photo I could get of Sutton and Rowan. And...to keep it real, Sutton was a pill that day. So much disobedience and I was having to discipline, by myself, while trying to hold the baby, all while in front of a ton of other parents. Ugh...sometimes parenting is HARD.



At their house, the sleeping arrangement was that Sutton and I got the bed and Ren was in the pack n play. Sutton is a mover while he sleeps in the morning, he was completely upside down, so I took a picture.


Then I changed Ren's diaper and Sutton was still asleep, so of course, another picture. I think the distortion of this angle makes them appear very close in size.


That Monday we went to Deanna Rose Farmstead to walk around and see the animals. Rowan and Sutton playing in the water.



Sutton rode a horse.


And drove a tiny tractor while I nursed Ren on a nearby park bench. That worked out well...big kid was distracted while little kid got to eat. :)


And he also got to drive the tractor in the playground area. Apparently all we did was ride and sit on things, not look at animals.


We left there and got to Chic-fil-a for lunch to meet Rachael's brother Alex and his girlfriend Marisa just before a downpour. I love this series of books that Chic-fil-a has right now. Ours (called Bear Gives Thanks) has a Wren in it. :)


Everyone at the Clark house was a little icky...no one felt 100%. So that afternoon, everyone napped. The open-mouthed sleeping baby is freakishly adorable to me.


We went to Target for coffee and sunglasses. Sutton practiced being a gangster.


That evening, I took Rowan's 2-year photos, which you can see by clicking here. We left Sutton with Matt, but since Matt wasn't feeling amazing, he didn't want Ren to catch whatever he had, so Rachael wore Ren in the carrier. He snuggled with her and looked super cute while Mommy took photos.


The photo below is from a moment I NEED to remember forever. I feel like I have a lot of lows as a mom, but this was a definite high. The second morning we were there, Ren woke up a bit too early and wanted to eat. I fed him in our bed, and he fell right back asleep. A minute later, Sutton rolled over and cuddled up to my back. I was sandwiched between these two...they couldn't have been any closer to me. It was so sweet and I loved it. I was somehow able to get up without waking either of them up. So yeah, that tiny space between them is where I got to lay for an hour. :)


This handsome boy has such cute expressions these days.


We took Ren to his first movie in the theater. We went to see the new Planes movie at the Warren. He did so great. Slept right through the second half.


Ren and Diesel are pretty similar in size these days. I think Diesel is around 20 pounds, so I'm sure it won't be too much longer before Ren passes him. The baby has a doctor's appointment at the end of the month, so we'll get a weight update then.


Adam and Sutton love camping. So we had to go on one last camping trip before summer was over. Our friends Kurt and Faith and their two kids came along too. The boys all ended up lasting for 2 nights while us girls only stayed out one. Both Faith and I run wedding-related businesses from our homes, so we kept having to go back into town for appointments and such. Ren is the perfect size to use our camping chairs as a baby hammock.


More sleeping pictures. We camped on the two hottest days of the summer - 102 and 105 degrees. But our tent has an air conditioner, so the first night, we got cold. The kiddos seemed to not notice, but I was freezing and we hadn't packed a blanket for us. Adam tried to cuddle me but it wasn't working so by the morning, he sacrificed his half of the open sleeping bag to me for a cover. That helped a lot. Sutton obviously didn't mind the cold:


Ren napped in our bed that afternoon. He's such a good little camper.


There was a little creek behind our campsite and the kids played in it for hours. They had so much fun.


Aaaaaand Ren slept some more. I think this was actually back home...I came home a little early with him and he was sleepy and fell asleep on my bed.


One afternoon Sutton squeezed Ren like this and said "Mommy look how cute we are!"


Ren is very into playing with Daddy's beard.


Daddy was tickling him right before bed that night and he was so tired but so happy...he just kept laughing and smiling with his eyes closed.


Towards the end of July, we took Melinda and Ryan a meal. We got to cuddle with baby Olive for a bit. She's so tiny. I never had a baby as tiny as she is, even here at 3 weeks old, she was smaller than my two newborn giants.


Sutton has become obsessed with a show we found on Netflix called Tree Fu Tom. Daddy shortened a belt for him to wear, and I cut the fingers off some cheap gloves so he could be like Tree Fu Tom. He wears the gloves everywhere. He's even washed his hands with them on.


Ren has started loving his Jumperoo and the door jumper. He's not as bouncy as Sutton was at this age, but he's getting the hang of it. It's nice to have a place to put him down where he's not laying (like in his swing and bouncy seat).


The boys have been switching off sleeping in lately. Sutton will sleep in one day, but Ren will be up early. Then Ren will sleep in the next and Sutton is ready to go early. This morning, Ren was comatose, and Sutton had to check on him.


The first Friday in August, we took the boat out again. Both my parents and Adam's parents were able to come along. Love taking photos with my handsome boys.


My parents. We talked my mom into getting on the tube...she's never tubed, skied, ANYTHING behind a boat in her entire life. Adam promised to drive slow, so she and I got on and did it together. We had Sutton on there with us for a little bit too.


Sutton drove his little RC boat around a bit.


Ren fell asleep while we were in the water. Sweet little lamb.


Sutton on the tube.


One afternoon when Ren was supposed to be sleeping, I found him smiling at the monitor. It was hilarious.


Ohhhhh, the sleeping baby-and-daddy-that-I-cannot-resist.


August 2, first time in his high chair!


And the first time to try food. Y'all saw the video of this a couple posts ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment