Wednesday morning, we went out to Scott's land to get everything set up. It's been unseasonably warm around here, and we ended up taking Sutton's shirt off for our picnic lunch here. (Photo was taken pre-disrobing.)
Adam stayed out there pretty much constantly, but I had to travel back and forth for Sutton's naps and bedtime. Sutton is in love with "Mommy's bed" and always wants to "get up der?" Here he is pre-nap on Wednesday, chilling with Diesel and watching Veggie Tales.
After his nap, we headed back out to the campsite for dinner. Scott made us some amazing campfire chili. Disregard the nasty camping hair. :) It sure got cold out there quick when the sun started going down.
We have a sort of shelter out there that we keep all the food in, so there's just this table of food that's open for constant snacking. We probably gain 10 pounds during Thankscamping. Sutton included...you can see the remnants on his face.
As I mentioned, Adam got a silk-screening set up for his birthday, so he made us all Thankscamping shirts. Sutton and I are in the minority with no beards. This is Scott, me, Adam, Sutton, and Adam's brother Matt.
Adam slept out there Wednesday night, and then came into town on Thanksgiving morning because it was our second annual Team Dreher 5K. We do the Say Grace Thanksgiving Day 5K each year (well, it's only been in existence for 2 years, but we've done it both years) as a family. This year, there was another family team there with shirts that said "Forced Family Fun." We thought that was pretty hilarious.
Here's our group. Niece Bailey, nephew Corbin, Adam's mom Janet, Adam, A's sister Jessica, niece Breegan, me, A's dad Ed, Sutton, Jessica's hubby Steve, niece Aubrynn. My parents also came out to support us and to watch Sutton while Adam and I ran. They took this photo for us.
Jessica and I pre-race, waiting at the starting line. I was SO nervous. I wanted so badly to run the entire 3.1 miles. This race was the goal several months ago when I started running. I'm really not a runner, and instead of upping my distances, I was just running my 1 mile faster. I got it up to about an 8 minute mile, which is pretty good, but doesn't help me with distance. So Tuesday I got up to 2 miles on the treadmill. But this 5K was a whole 1.1 miles more than that. Yikes.
And I did it!!!!!
I was so excited, but so dead. My legs felt like they were about to fall off during that last 3/4 mile. I just kept telling myself that I'd totally regret it if I walked at all. I think I got 350th-something place, out of 1500 or so, with a time of 27:11. My miles averaged out to 8:48/mile. Not bad, but maybe next year I'll try to go for a better time since this year's goal was just running the whole thing.
Adam did amazingly. He and Bailey ran together and got 170th-something place, with a 23:00-something time, doing 7 min 30 second miles. Crazy. Here's our post-race photo.
The had muffins and oranges for us after the race. I couldn't eat, but Sutton was obsessed with this giant Cinnamon Streusel muffin. There was a playground at the finish line, and he'd go up the playground, down the slide, come take a bite of muffin, then back up the playground, down the slide, and stop for another bite. It was pretty funny.
Adam's mom Janet pushed our niece Breegan in a stroller, so we all waited by the finish line for them to cross.
After the race, we showered and headed over to Adam's parents' house for lunch. Jessica made an amazing Thanksgiving meal that was so good. We played there for a bit, then Adam went back out to the campsite, and Sutton and I went home for a nap. After nap, we headed over to meet Adam. We had pork carnitas that evening. Mmmmm.
Sutton and I headed home when it started getting too cold, and Friday morning, we spent at home cleaning. Blurry photo, but I took this to send to Adam as proof that I was even sweeping UNDER the couches. :)
Thankful for this awesome dude that I get to be a mom too. Drool and all.
After Friday nap, we went out to the campsite and snacked a bunch before eating turkey chili and goose (wrapped in bacon) for dinner. The food is one of the best parts of Thankscamping.
Just before Sutton's bedtime, I took him back home, where Adam's mom met me and spent the night with Sutton so I could go back out to the campsite and spend the night in the tent with Adam. It WAS our 11 year anniversary (of dating) after all.
It was pretty cold, so we piled on a bunch of layers and took a long walk out in the moonlit country. It was so peaceful, no wind, and very quiet. We walked a couple miles all around Scott's family's land, and the walk definitely warmed us up. After our walk, we huddled back around the fire and our friend Brody would pour turkey grease on the fire any time we got too cold. The flames would shoot 6 feet in the air and be SO hot.
Our friend Weston stayed out with us Friday night, along with his dog Jade. Weston was the one who'd hunted and cooked the goose for us.
Adam and Bailey in the fire-light.
Bailey and I during a turkey-grease giant flame. I figured that was the time for photos since it was plenty bright. :)
We went to bed about midnight, and luckily Adam has a propane powered heater that we kept in our tent that was awesome. The heater + 5 quilts = a good nights sleep in 28 degree weather. It probably got even colder, but that's what my phone said when we went to bed. I got up Saturday morning to frost on the tent and zipper as I left the camp site to go home for the last time.
Adam got home around lunch time, and we spent the rest of the afternoon and evening together since we'd been apart so much while he was camping. We went to Chili's to eat last night, and halfway through my meal, I realized my chicken was semi-raw (gross!) so we got our whole meal for free (sweet!). We walked around Cabela's a bit afterwards, looking for items for next year's Thankscamping.
All in all, a great Thanksgiving break! Back to the real world tomorrow.

















No comments:
Post a Comment