Let me first say that I have Pinterest guilt. I don't really want to do all these projects but I feel like I must since I've seen all these ideas and since they're usually pretty cheap. I need to get over it.
(All photos were taken on my phone so must of them are blurry. Sorry.)
The first step was to rip up scrapbook paper. Sutton helped me with this part.
Then I Mod-Podged the paper to a big canvas.
So far so good. I should've just left it like this. :) It did end up setting this way for about a month while I tried to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted the lyrics to You Are My Sunshine and an airplane, but I wasn't sure how.
I ended up drawing the outline of an airplane to fit the size of my canvas, then I cut it out.
I bought scrapbooking vinyl letters for the lyrics. The thought was that it talks about "skies" which has to do with airplanes (kinda) and it has the word "grey" which is Sutton's middle name. I thought I was a genius.
After everything was stuck/rubber cemented down, I painted over the whole thing. Two coats, then I let it dry. I peeled everything off and....let down. I should've covered up more so more of the scrapbook paper showed through and I should've made everything bigger and I'm not a fan of the placement of the wording. Plus, the paint bled through under the airplane and cloud outlines in some spots. So I let it set in our living room for a few days while deciding if I should trash it or not. Sutton got excited whenever he saw it and would yell "AIRMANE!!!" so I decided as long as he liked it, I'd hang it in his room.
And for reference in his room:
We're trying to decorate his room a bit since he's a big boy now and it's not a nursery anymore. Not that I ever decorated it when it was a nursery... :) I have some ideas but we'll see how it goes.
And here's a video of our cute boy.










No comments:
Post a Comment