Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sutton {3 Years Old}

Sutton is three years old!

 

And just for fun, here's the comparison from the last 3 years:


I know it's the most cliche thing in the world to say, but...how are you already three years old?! I feel like as a young married person, and then when I was pregnant, I always pictured myself with a baby. But you're definitely not a baby anymore. You're a real life kid!


Some updates:

*We're potty-trained! It's a wonderful and glorious thing to only have to change your diaper for night time. About 2 weeks before your birthday, we buckled down to potty-train you and it was a breeze. I think we waited until you were old enough to understand. Pretty much no accidents since the first day we started. And your little bum looks so cute in undies. :)

*When you went camping with Daddy, he taught you how to pee outside and you watered all the trees. Boys have it so easy. :)

*You're wearing 3T size clothes. A lot of pants are too big around the waist, but I'm buying that size so they'll hopefully fit you longer.


*We went through a rough patch with napping about two months ago, and I thought we might be seeing the end of the nap. But alas, things have straightened out and you're back to napping around 2-3 hours each afternoon. Since Daddy is home for the summer, we've been a lot more lenient about when we put you down, but usually is around 1 or 2pm.

*Your favorite drinks are apple juice and sometimes chocolate milk. You love mac n cheese, ketchup, and strawberries.

*When you want us to do something but want to be all passive about it you say, "You can do _____. If you want to."

*You love to say "Hey! Hey! I have a good idea!" But it's usually very anticlimactic. And it mostly sounds like "Hey! Hey! I-ah-uh-good-deeah!"


*You're very serious when you tell us things. You like to list all your points and in between you say "And THENNNN...."

*You believe you're a racecar. Called Sutton Racecar. You make engine noises at every possible opportunity.

*You like to say "I didn't know that!" One day, we were sitting out in the driveway and Daddy laid down. You said "Daddy! I didn't know you could do THAT!"


*You pretend to shoot guns by sticking your thumb up, grabbing that wrist with your other hand, and stretching out your arms, saying "Pew! Pew!" We've progressed to that noise. It used to be "Suit suit!" like for "shoot shoot."

*You like to put "ie" on the end of words. Like boat is "boatie," flip-flops are "flippie-flops," and on and on. I think I started the trend and Daddy thinks it's bad but I think it's cute.

*I'd made a note about how you said "Na-got" instead of "Forgot." But I think you've corrected yourself lately. Or at least some of the time.

 

*You like to eat waffles with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast. Sometimes we switch it up with peanut butter/jelly toast or eggs. But as soon as you wake up in the morning, you ask for a waffle. Sometimes even when you wake up from nap.

*You love swimming. We don't go enough, and so you're usually a little apprehensive at first, but you'll warm up quickly. You'll even lay on your belly in the zero-depth entry pools and kick your legs since we taught you to do that when you swim. You love jumping off the side of the pool and having us catch you.

*You're really too big for your high chair. It's so hard to lift you in there. So we've started having you sit in a big chair at the table for some of our meals.


*You love to play outside. You're always finding sticks, going on adventures, racing around the yard, and driving your cars outside. You believe that dinosaurs live in our air conditioner and we always have to go see them and then run away. :)

*Your knees are constantly scraped and you're really in to band-aids right now. So there's always a band-aid somewhere on your body. You also have a worse-than-usual reaction to mosquitoes, which I'd forgotten from last year.

*No more pacifier. :( You had still been using your pacifier for naps and bed time, and we warned you that when you turned three, you wouldn't get to use it anymore. You were very matter-of-fact about it beforehand, but when it came down to it, the first nap and bedtime without it were very rough. You cried and cried. The second night, we prayed and asked Jesus to help you not feel sad about your pacifier. That helped you a lot, so now any time you ask about it, we talk about how we need to ask Jesus to help you not be sad about it. Oh, and you say it "Paa-ih-wa-wa."

*You are so funny. You make jokes all the time. And you try to copy our jokes.

We were a little whiny during our photo shoot due to the scraped knees I mentioned in the last post, but that's just who you are at 3-years-old a lot of the time. So there you go. :) Here are the rest of the photos we took:







These geese were a little aggressive about getting bread from us. They were hissing and sticking out their tongues.




The geese were too much, so we went onto the bridge to feed the turtles below.




Then I found a non-windy spot {we were of course in a wind advisory the day I wanted to do photos} where we could take our family photos. You were very serious about running to me.


This was a test shot while I was setting the timer {don't try that at home}, but I love it.


And our new family photo. Yay! We only got one. That's what happens when you use a timer and not a person. Now that you're a bit older, I've decided we'll just do nice family photos in the fall for Christmas, and we'll pretty much just do pictures of you by yourself on your birthday.




















When we got home, I bribed you with cake to take the front porch photo so I could compare it to your other birthdays. :) You do NOT SIT STILL. This was quite the task this time around.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And...for your viewing pleasure, a video of Sutton on his birthday. I saw this thing on Pinterest where you ask your kid the same questions on every birthday, starting at 3 years old. So here's our video version. I must put a disclaimer that it sounds like he says a bad word about half-way through, but I promise he's never heard us say that word and I think it was just a fluke. Oh well.


And here's a written dialogue, just in case you can't understand:

1.    How old are you? Three.
2.    What is your favorite color? Bluuuuue.
3.    What is your favorite toy? Firefox.
4.    What is your favorite fruit? Mac n cheese... Waffles.
5.    What is your favorite movie? Toys {Toy Story}
6.    What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Waffles.
7.    What is your favorite outfit? Underwear.
8.    What is your favorite game to play? Racecars.
9.    What is your favorite snack? Basketball. Goldfish.
10. What is your favorite animal? Zebra.
11. What is your favorite song? Jesus Loves Me. {Though Twinkle Star, ABCs, and Gangnam Style is probably more accurate.}
12. What is your favorite book? Racecars.
13. Who is your best friend? You are! And Grandma is.
14. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Waffle.
15. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Ah ba ba ba SWING!
16. What is your favorite drink? Apple juice.
17. What is your favorite holiday? Halloween! {But he never talks about Halloween and talks about Christmas all the time. So who knows}
18. What do you like to take to bed at night? Pacifier and blue blankie.
19. What do you want to be when you get big? I don't want you to do that. Lightning McQueen.
20. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Waffles. Cake cake cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment