Ren, at one month old:
*You are a pretty good sleeper so far. You usually go in 3-3.5 hour stretches at night between feedings. I nurse you, change you, swaddle you, and lay you down and you go right back to sleep. Or if you don't, you're at least not loud about being awake. :)
*Breastfeeding is going pretty good. I had a lot of pain at the beginning, and it will still randomly hurt for a few seconds when you latch on, but generally we do okay. I still use a nipple shield with you because of the pain, though I may try to start weaning you off that soon. You have nursed without it just once for about 5 minutes. Then you unlatched, got frustrated, and wouldn't latch on again without it.
*You usually eat every 2.5-3 hours during the day. I generally feed you around 10 minutes on each side. But sometimes you eat more, sometimes less. With your jaundice at the beginning, I was feeding you every 1-2 hours and you got used to that, so I had to work to space it out a bit more, and that helps everyone's sanity a lot.
*We were worried that you would be a fussy baby since we lucked out with Sutton being so laid back. But you have a similar temperament to your big brother so far. Usually you're only fussy if you are hungry, or if we're changing your diaper or giving you bath.
*You've been having some tummy/gas issues. You'll squirm around and fuss a bit and then once you toot or poop, you're good to go. Sometimes laying you on your belly helps. We also use gas drops and those seem to work well.
*You love to cuddle. There are times when all you need to be happy is to be held. I'm doing the whole "baby-wearing" thing this time around, and you love being in the wrap and cuddling against my chest.
*Your chubby cheeks are the softest little things and I nuzzle you all the time.
*Most newborn size clothes are a bit too snug, so I've been dressing you in mostly 0-3 month things. They're a bit big, but I can tell you're quickly growing into them.
*We have to have mittens on you most of the time because you scratch your face constantly if we don't. Or poke yourself in the eye. If you're upset, you grab your face with your hands and just dig in the fingernails, which makes you scream even more.
*You're wearing size 1 diapers, but they're a little big still. The newborn ones fit you, but tend to have more leaks.
*We haven't gotten into much of a routine yet, other than having you nap in the afternoons at the same time as Sutton. We started that the first day you were home from the hospital, and you've taken a good afternoon nap every day since then. I pray this continues! You're starting to be awake more.
*So far, you seem to like walks. The stroller is soothing, it seems…you just sleep the whole time. We went to the zoo with some friends last week, and you slept through the whole thing in your stroller.
*Your big brother likes to call you Ren-a-roni, and today he came up with the cutest nickname ever for you: Mr. Belly. Love it.
*Sutton absolutely loves you. He loves to hold you and asks to do that multiple times a day. He gives you tons of hugs and kisses. When we drop him off and pick him up from preschool, he gives you really long hugs and nuzzles you. He calls you Baby Brother when he's trying to be gentle…i.e., "It's okay, Baby Brother." "Baby Brother, I'm here!" "Wanna hold my hand, Baby Brother?"
*I think you're hot-blooded like Sutton. I often don't know quite how to dress you because you seem to get really hot really fast, but it's still chilly out. Consequently, we do a lot of long-sleeved onesies with no pants.
*You're a pretty quiet sleeper. I generally nap with you every day. You sleep in your bassinet next to Daddy's side of the bed at night, and I don't hear you except when you wake up to eat.
As you can see, Sutton was my big helper during this shoot. He's super gentle with you, so I asked him to move your head to look up at me.
*You like your pacifier but not as much as Sutton did. You use it at night and some during the day, but it doesn't immediately calm you like it did with Sutton. We also have to usually hold it in there for a few seconds before you'll really keep it in.
*I think you look a lot like Sutton, but I think you definitely have your own look to you. Your head shape is more round, and you have bigger lips. But you have the same yawning face. :)
*You don't have much hair yet, but the hair you do have looks blonde. In certain light, it looks reddish, so I think you'll probably end up a red-head like Sutton.
*You're not a very good burper. Sometimes I don't get any burps from you. Sometimes I'll get one.
*You like to hang out in your swing when we're not holding you.
Big brother had to be in some of the photos, and Diesel wanted to help too.










No comments:
Post a Comment