Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Weight...Ugh

I'm going to be brutally honest: I'm totally struggling with the whole weight gaining thing. I've heard such a wide variety as to what's "normal" to gain when you're pregnant, but every time I get on the scale, the number blows me away. I've heard people say 'wait til the end...you'll be gaining a pound a week!' but I feel like I'm already doing that! Maybe more! I'm not eating crazily, but I'm not watching calories either.

And then I struggle with the fact that I'm being selfish. Gaining weight is good for the baby, so I shouldn't be so superficial about it. It's just such a hard feeling to get rid of when you've been viewing weight gain as a bad thing for the past 10 years!

Help me out here...if you've been pregnant, please leave me a comment to let me know how much weight you've gained. I've heard from women who've gained 15 pounds and women who've gained 50. What about you?

And yes! We're back from the babymoon. It was great. Lots of photos to come, hopefully sometime tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Gained 45 pounds. Reid accounted for a little over 10 pounds of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stress about it! Just be healthy! I didn't gain more than 25 pounds during any of my 3 pregnancies. But...the problem with me is that I've never focused on losing it! I have friends that gained 50+ pounds with each kid! But they were really good about losing it afterwards so they're way better off than me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just go with it. Be smart, but don't worry!!

    With my first I gained quite a bit. 45 or 50 I think. But with my second, I only gained 19 (I had just gotten back to pre-baby weight about a month before I got pregnant again!). And that was with a Hardee's biscuit and gravy every morning. I'm not sure why I didn't gain 75!!!

    If you decide to breastfeed that's really good way to loose weight too! (and you thought it was just good for the baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've told you... but I gained 36 with Avery. :) Honestly, try not to worry - everyone is completely different and everyone's body handles pregnancy differently. :) You're right, it's good for the baby - don't stress and count calories! :) It's SO hard to re-wire our brains... I remember gasping at my appointments b/c I saw numbers on that scale I'd never seen before! You look great, so just relax and enjoy that beautiful baby belly. :) Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gained about 25 with Eli but gained closer to 30 or 35 with Kamdyn. I remember hating to go to the dr.'s office and looking at that scale everytime. But as much as I didn't want to look, I couldn't turn away! From your pictures you look amazing, so don't worry. Besides, your little one is part of that weight, especially at the end. I had almost 9 pounds of baby in me with Eli. Just think about all the positive things and the excitement of being able to hold your baby at the end of all of this. Gaining weight sucks! But this is for an amazing reason and it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i gained 60, toward the end, i asked dr kaufman if was gaining to much. he said well.... don't gain anymore! i too did not go nuts eating, i just didn't do any physical activity at all. it will go away. i've lost all of mine. (i better have she turns two next week!) don't worry about it now, you will lose it. i don't think you look heavy at all, i think you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happily gained 38 pounds! I do not regret it at all because you have the rest of your life to lose it! Just enjoy the leisure of being able to put on 6 pounds a month! It is okay!!!!! Plus you didn't weight much to start out with....it is all baby weight I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gained almost 40 lbs!! You look like you're carrying like I did and I left the hospital looking like I didn't have a baby at all. I think by day 5 I'd lost 25 lbs. Enjoy your pregnancy & try not to worry about the weight!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, this is making me feel a little better. I may just reveal how much I've gained in my update tomorrow. I just had a total freak-out moment after reading the blog of a lady who's 30 weeks along and has only gained 10 pounds! Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete