Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sutton's 2nd Birthday

Even though I swore I wouldn't do big parties for my kid when I was pregnant, I caved to the peer pressure and did a big bash for Sutton's first birthday. I'm glad I did, BUT it was stressful for me (planning parties is NOT my thing), and he wasn't a fan of the huge group we invited. He still doesn't do great with big groups, so we decided to keep things small and low-key this year.

We did our annual birthday breakfast when Sutton got up. Here's the only photo I took of that, us sitting in our booth at Jimmy's Egg.


When we got home, we gave Sutton the present we'd gotten for him. Daddy had gotten it all set up the night before. I took a video of him seeing it for the first time.


After that, he played for awhile then he took a birthday bath. We had lunch and then we all got naps...another birthday tradition that it seems we're starting. :) After nap time, Daddy took Sutton to get crickets for Draco (Have I told you about Draco? He's a bearded dragon that is Adam's class pet and he lives with us during breaks.) and I finished making Sutton's cake and cleaning the house.

Then it was time to party! We had my parents, Adam's parents, and Adam's sister Jessica and her hubby Steve and their three kiddos over. We grilled hot dogs and hamburgers and had birthday cake. Simple and fun.


We were especially thankful that my dad was able to come (bottom left in the photo above). He had knee replacement surgery a week ago Monday, but is doing so well and was able to walk and go up stairs with only the help of a cane less than a week after his surgery!


Cousin Breegy tried an onion and promptly put it back in the bowl, haha.

After we ate, we opened gifts. Sutton got a Super Soaker and a piano from his cousins, Aunt Jess, and Uncle Steve.


He kept putting the Super Soaker up to his eyes and saying "Cheese!" for some reason...weirdo. :)



He somehow knew what to do with the presents. He was really good at tearing the paper off.




Grandma and Grandpa Funk got him a tractor! He loves tractors, but we don't really have any for him.



Grandma Janet and Papa Ed gave Sutton this guitar that Papa made from a solid piece of walnut. It's the coolest thing and it really works!




After presents, it was time for cake. Now, I must brag a bit and let you know that I made this cake from scratch, including the icing. My family always had Bonnie Butter Cake with French Silk frosting on birthdays, and it is hands down my most favorite cake in the whole world. I'd like to keep that tradition going with Sutton, so I got out of my comfort zone and into the kitchen. Only for you, Sutton. :)


I had Aunt Jessica take a video of Sutton blowing out his candles.



And unlike last year, he actually ate some of his cake and didn't cry about it! He had to use a fork though, lol. He has random neat-freak tendencies, and I guess this was one of them. He even asked for a clean fork after he'd used his for a bite. He liked the frosting best.


The cousins waiting patiently for their cake.


I tried to take a photo of him at 6:35pm, the exact time he was born...but the lighting wasn't good and I didn't grab my nice camera to compensate for that in time. So this is what we got. :) Good enough.


After cake, Sutton played a bit with his cousins and then everyone left except for my parents. We went outside to show off Sutton's other birthday present but first we had to take a photo with Grandma Nancy.


A few months ago, Adam decided he really really wanted to buy Sutton a PowerWheels tractor or Jeep for his birthday. As you may know, they're very expensive. So he'd been selling things on CraigsList and doing some airbrushing of airplanes to make a little extra money. Well it turned out that Papa Ed had this PowerWheels already, he'd gotten it at a garage sale or something awhile back. It just needed a new battery. We were so excited! So excited, that he got this present a couple weeks ago because we couldn't wait. :)


It's hit and miss with him whether or not he wants to drive it. And he doesn't know about steering, but he does know to push the gas pedal to go. So we kinda keep the steering wheel turned to one side so he'll go in a circle. :)


And the day after his birthday (yesterday) we decided to finally quit with the pacifier. Adam came up with the brilliant idea to tell him that he can only have his wawa in his bedroom (so we still let him have it when he sleeps). Sutton responds pretty well to rules like that that are concrete. He's done pretty well with it! The hardest time is when he gets up in the morning, we have to take it out before we can leave his bedroom, which caused a major meltdown this morning. But we worked through it.

All in all, a much more stress-free birthday for everyone. Sutton had a great time since everyone who was there was someone he knew very well and sees often. He was tired and ready for bed. I sang him Happy Birthday one last time as I rocked him to sleep, and he somehow knows that his birthday meant that he's now 2 years old. He struggles so hard to get his 2 little fingers up whenever someone asks him how old he is. But he's pretty proud when he finally gets it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment