I still have some of the septum left. They made a very significant dent in it...he showed us before and after pictures, and you could see a huge difference, but there's still a definite something there to make it not quite shaped right.
What do we do now?
Well, there are two options. I could go in and have another surgery so that they would get it all and I wouldn't have to worry about it. Or, we can try to get pregnant now and see what happens. Since they did remove so much of the septum, my chances of miscarrying are much lower. My doctor said he would recommend not having the second surgery, and to start trying now.
I was already leaning that way, but I asked him about percentages. He explained it this way. If you take 100 women, there's a 20% of miscarrying if you're completely normal. So we're down to 80 women. Of those 80 women, if they all have a septum and have the surgery to fix it, and it gets fixed completely, 94-98% of them will carry a full-term baby. Since my septum isn't completely gone, I have a 92-96% chance of carrying a full-term baby. So my chances aren't a ton different, but there's still that 2-6%. Which is disheartening.
I want to give a special thanks to my mom. Adam couldn't go with me yesterday and the procedure they did was pretty painful. So I'm really really glad she could come with me to hold my hand. Thanks, Mom. I appreciate your comments of how brave I was being, but I know you would've done the same as long as you kept the end result in mind.
So I guess I'm "healed." At least as healed as can be for now. We'll see what happens.
You will continue to be in my prayers as you start this next phase. I pray it will lead to continued joy and no more sorrow! Like I said before though, becoming parents just brings on new fears and concerns...the hard work is never truly over! :)
ReplyDelete