Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Overwhelmed

The Baby Bargains book, the internet, other young moms...

I am suffering from mom-to-be information overload.

And I haven't even stepped foot into Babies R Us yet. That day will most likely end in tears.

It just seems like there's so much to know that I've never even thought about: how many diapers I'll use in a week, how many outfits to have before baby arrives, different towels for baby than what Adam and I use, blankets, bedding, nursery decor, lotions, nursing bras....AHHH!

For those of you who know me well, I've already told you this. But I'm going to put it out there on my blog to keep myself accountable.

I'M NOT BUYING INTO IT.

I'm going to be a simplistic mom. I keep thinking back to 50 years ago when there were no such things as diaper genies or crib bumpers. Babies obviously survived. I don't want to get sucked into the mindset that I need every new gadget, device, or time-saving thing out there.

I want my baby to be happy, healthy, and safe. Bottom line.

So we will get/do what we need to in order to make that happen.

The only exception may have to be the nursery. I have so many cute ideas for decorating it. But even there, I will try to do inexpensive do-it-yourself things to make it fun.

Just my thought for the day. If your philosophy is the opposite, well, have fun with that. :)

2 comments:

  1. we went the simplistic route and have EVERTHING we need! you know what though, go crazy on you babies r us regestry and people will buy you that stuff you don't want to buy =) i could not believe how much i recieved at my baby shower! i know you have tons of adivice from lots of people, but i have a list of the basic basic needs for the first month of life (the stuff i loved and used like crazy) let me know and i can send it your way! don't worry that first trip to babies r us is so much fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. Don't let that stuff overwhelm you. Do go crazy on the registry like your friend said you will be surprised what ppl buy you! I don't have any of the fancy stuff in my opinion (I actually broke down and bought a cheap monitor 6 weeks after Lo was born only b/c I realized I couldn't hear her cry in the basement unless she was really fired up!) and we have almost made it a year. :)
    And what works for one mom/family/baby doesn't work for another...you will do just fine!

    ReplyDelete