Monday, April 5, 2010

The Making of the Sheet

Friday afternoon I headed to my mom's house so that "we" could make the fitted sheet for baby Bentley's crib. I really wanted a teal sheet and some teal/yellow pillows for the nursery. The sheets I found in stores and online weren't even close to what I wanted - too pastel or neutral. So I found a really simple pattern online, and pretty cheap fabric ($2.77/yard) in the perfect color at Walmart!

You may remember how completely NOT domestic I am, so of course, there's no way I can sew. I enlisted the help of my mom and Grandma, and it ended up being pretty easy. I didn't actually do anything, so they deserve all the credit. THANKS! The light in my parent's basement isn't great, so here's my mom holding a shadeless lamp for my grandma.

Luckily, there were a lot of dogs there to help. Here's my parents two dogs, Rory and Annie. They helped by sitting on the sewing machine pedal (and refusing to move), and then when we dropped a pin, they graciously sat right on top of the spot on the floor we were trying to search! 

Then Axl began looking for shadows since we had the lamp out, so that was helpful.

Rory and Annie really enjoy being under things. Under the bed, under the dinner table, under the sewing chair. My poor Grandma has come such a long way since we've forced our dogs upon her. She has even been caught petting them!!

Well...at least he wasn't ever in the way at all. 

AH! The fat lady makes an appearance! At one point, we needed three sets of hands. My grandma was sewing, I was keeping the elastic taut, and my mom was turning the wheel when the sewing machine motor would stall.

We left the door to the outside open for the dogs, but Diesel was the only one taking advantage of that. He was outside, by himself, barking at leaves and things most of the time. He finally came inside to say hi, but since my mom is his favorite person, he insisted on being held by her and so we had to take a break.

But we did it! We made a fitted sheet. And Adam and I went and bought a crib mattress this weekend...and it fits! I took this photo in our nursery...you can see the white wainscoting below the windows. We still haven't painted the walls, but we bought the paint this weekend, so that should be happening soon!
 

While in Newton, my mom and I also came up with the throw pillow designs, so I'm excited to see how those turn out. There will be pictures as the nursery all comes together, I promise!

And...I didn't take any photos on Easter. :( But we had a great one. The sunny weather was amazing, so after church I spent a little time soaking up some rays in the backyard and playing ball with the puppies. Then we headed to Newton for lunch with my family and we sat out on my grandparents deck after lunch. For supper, we went to Adam's parents and had burgers and the little kids hunted Easter eggs. Too much food for sure...it was wonderful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment